Monday, May 22, 2006

I Will, With God's Help

Yesterday Emily was confirmed. There were 6 middle school age children confirmed and some adults doing a reaffirmation (a renewal of their confirmation) or a recognition (being welcomed into the Episcopal church if they were previously confirmed in another denomination). It was a very nice service and Emily's grandparents and one of her aunts were able to attend. After the service there was a small reception in the parish hall with cake, coffee & lemonade and photos taken with the bishop, etc.

It's interesting to me that even though Confirmation seems somewhat akin to a Bar or Bat Mitzvah in the Jewish faith, usually it's not as big a deal. At least, I don't know anyone that spends thousands of dollars on a Confirmation party the way I've seen people do for a Bar or Bat Mitzvah. Perhaps some people do but no one that I know of has ever done that. I wonder why that's so?

No comments: